TOP 10 DRIP COFFEE MAKERS
An automatic drip coffee maker is the most common type of coffee machine, and the one which most Americans have, whether at home or in the office.
Countless coffee drinkers prefer the speed and convenience of brewing a pot of drip coffee. Its automatic features make brewing coffee easy, helping busy people multitask while coffee is being brewed for them.
Getting a drip coffeemaker would also be one of the most affordable options, where models starts for around $30. They also usually come with a glass carafe, but can often come with a more durable and insulating stainless steel or thermal carafe. Making it easy to serve brewed coffee for the family or for a group.
You’re probably familiar with the saying that “you have to kiss many frogs before finding your prince”. Well, you can avoid that experience when searching for your best coffee maker. Take a look at our picks of the top rated automatic drip coffee makers for 2016. These have received consistently high ratings from a lot of the consumers using them.
#1 Bonavita BV1800 8-Cup Coffee Maker
Consumers who bought the Bonavita BV1800 Coffee Maker shared a common theme in their reviews, namely that this impressive little machine gave them the best tasting coffee ever from a drip coffee maker – delicious, strong, hot, and no plastic taste! No wonder why this best drip coffee maker garnered the Specialty Coffee Association of America’s coveted Certified Brewer Equipment Award. This exceptional coffee machine is one of the few coffeemakers out there that have been certified for performance and quality by the SCAA. Bonavita also lived up to their promise that the BV1800 coffeemaker can brew 8 cups of coffee in under 6 minutes. The Bonavita BV1800 coffee maker features a 1400-watt heater which raises the water to the ideal brewing temperature of 205 degrees Fahrenheit, and a well designed showerhead that distributes the water evenly on the grounds for complete saturation. Its owners also loved how easy the machine is to operate. Instructions are basic and simple to follow using the “Bonavita’s Exceptional Brew” user’s manual. This award winning brewer comes with a choice of glass, stainless steel, or thermal carafe and includes a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty. Read more
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.2 stars (2,535 Customer Reviews)
- Brews coffee fast, under 6 minutes
- Brewed coffee is deliciously hot
- No plastic taste or smell
- 1400-watt heater (aluminum)
- Auto shut off feature
- SCAA Certified
- No feature to program ahead of time
- Not ideal for big families that always need more than 8 cups
UPDATE: Newest Version Bonavita BV1900TS
PICK US because we are considered as “The Barista-Worthy Coffee Makers”. If the 1900TS isn’t available, the Bonavita 1800-series coffeemaker is the next best option to pick.
#2 Cuisinart DCC-2650 Brew Central 12-Cup with Glass Carafe
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars (827 Customer Reviews)
- Good looking stainless steel machine
- Brew 14 cups & has 1-4 cup settings
- Choose regular or bold for coffee strength
- Brew-Pause function
- Adjustable heater plate
- Self clean function
- Easy-to-use control panel
- 3 years warranty
- No choice for a thermal carafe
- The opening to pour water is not large enough especially when you’re still sleepy
PICK ME because I have most (if not all) of the extra features you would want in a coffee maker, making coffee a lot less hassle.
#3 Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 10-Cup with Thermal Carafe
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.4 stars (332 Customer Reviews)
- Brews the best & hot tasting 10 cups of coffee
- Brew cycle is fast in just 5 minutes
- No plastic taste or smell
- Thermal Carafe
- Handmade in Netherlands, well built!
- SCAA and SCAE Certified
- 5-Year Warranty
- Not programmable to brew ahead of time
PICK ME because I am a true top-quality coffee maker. Hand-built in Netherlands and certified by the SCAA & SCAE gives you more confidence on which coffee maker to pick.
#4 Hamilton Beach Single Serve and 12-Cup Coffee Maker, 2-Way (49980A)
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars (2,623 Customer Reviews)
- Can function as a single-serve and full pot coffeemaker
- Options of using grounds or Senseo pods for single serve
- Makes hot delicious coffee
- Looks great in the kitchen
- Programmable with many useful features
- Easy to use control panel
- Included travel mug has a lid that can’t be sealed, but it is not restricted and can substitute the mug if necessary
- Offers a 1-year warranty only
PICK ME because I know you love the idea of a coffee maker that can make a pot of coffee for a group, or a single serve for solo enjoyment.
#5 BUNN BT Velocity Brew 10-Cup Thermal Carafe Home Coffee Brewer
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars (1,267 Customer Reviews)
- Brews the fastest 10 cups of coffee in just 3 minutes
- The quality of brewed coffee is excellent
- Coffee comes out hot and stays hot
- Quality thermal carafe
- A breeze to operate
- 3 years warranty
- Unit is big
- No extra features such as timers, not even a brew button to press instead of closing the top to start brewing
- No water-level indicator
PICK ME because I can brew the fastest pot of coffee in just 3-4 minutes, and the restaurant industry used our coffee brewing technology in over 40 years.Read more
Best Affordable Drip Coffee Machines
#6 Hamilton Beach 12-Cup Digital Coffee Maker, (46201 )
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars (1,837 Customer Reviews)
- Easy-access design
- Removable water reservoir
- Makes good and hot coffee
- Carafe does not dribble
- Options to brew regular, bold and 1-4 cups
- Pause & Serve function
- Adjustable keep warm plate (nonstick)
- Auto shutoff for safety
- Takes more than 10 mins. to make a full pot of coffee
- Troublesome to empty the last few drops of coffee that’s left inside the carafe. But the amount is only less than a tablespoon
PICK ME because I am attractive, functional and easy to clean, yet I am affordable. You can use me to brew few cups, or serve “good coffee” for a group.
#7 Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT 12-Cup Coffee Maker
Here is Amazon’s no.1 best seller in the coffee machine category and it is also the cheapest family-size brewer in our picks of the best drip coffee makers for 2016. The Mr. Coffee 12-Cup BVMC-SJX33GT Coffeemaker has a sleek and compact design that will enhance any style of kitchen. It features a removable filter basket and a window to show the amount of water in its reservoir. This programmable coffeemaker offers the consumer an option to choose their preferred brew strength, a pause & serve function if they feel the need to drink a cup of mid-brew coffee, a warming plate and a 2-hour automatic shut off for safety. All are features incorporated in this best selling coffee machine. The Mr. Coffee coffeemaker also boasts of its carbon based water filter that removes up to 97 percent of chlorine from the water for a better tasting brewed coffee. Consumers acknowledged that the machine is easy to use and contains advanced features that make coffee brewing fun and easy. They are also glad that they can choose between the included glass carafe, or if they prefer, the use of a thermal carafe (sold separately). The Mr. Coffee 12-Cup BVMC-SJX33GT Coffeemaker has a 1-Year warranty.
For consumers who don’t want to spend much on a coffee maker and still want a good quality programmable drip coffee maker, the Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT Coffeemaker is really a worthy buy. Read More
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.1 stars (5,506 Customer Reviews)
- A real bargain for your money
- Sleek and compact design
- Pause & Serve function
- Brew strength option
- Able to use glass or thermal carafe
- Easy to operate
- Keep warm plate and a 2-hour auto shutoff
- Complaints of drips with the included glass carafe. But by lifting the lid a little solves the problem
- Even if the charcoal filter is a nice component, its users did not like to take the extra steps of putting it over the filter basket before brewing and then taking it off (becomes wet) when dumping the used grinds. It could have been engineered better.
PICK ME because I am the #1 best selling coffee machine in Amazon. You will pay half the price and receive twice the function if you choose me.
#8 Hamilton Beach 12-Cup 48464 Brewstation Summit Dispensing Coffee Machine
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.3 stars (2,312 Customer Reviews)
- “Carafeless”, never break another glass coffee pot
- No heater plate to scorch coffee flavor
- Programmable clock/timer, and auto shutoff
- Versatile brewing options (regular, bold, iced coffee, small-batch)
- Easy to fill water into the reservoir using the removable coffee tank
- Looks nice and has a small counter footprint
- Only the filter basket can be cleaned in top rack of dishwasher
- Due to the steam condensation, water may leak down at the back of the machine when lid is lifted after brewing
PICK ME because I am a unique coffee maker which doesn’t need a coffee pot and you can make ice coffee with me. Plus, I am affordable too.
#9 Mr. Coffee DRX5 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
The Mr. Coffee DRX5 4-Cup Coffeemaker is perfect for apartment living, or in a place with limited counter space, and it’s also the right size for single coffee drinkers. This programmable coffeemaker allows you to set it to brew ahead of time with Delay Brew, so you can wake up and stir your senses with an aromatic-brewed coffee. The Grab-A-Cup Auto Pause function is quite a helpful feature when you need a cup of coffee before the brewing cycle is done. Its Dual Water Window lets you clearly see the water level as you fill to avoid overflows. The Mr. Coffee DRX5 Coffeemaker also features a 1-Hour Auto-Shut Off , and a Lift & Clean Filter Basket for fast, easy clean-up.
Consumers claim that this coffeemaker is a real bargain. The coffee machine looks nice and only takes up little space on their kitchen’s counter. The coffeemaker makes decent, hot coffee and is also a perfect choice to cater for an occasional guest or two, even if you’re not a coffee drinker. Although there are many consumers who were having some minor problems with the unit’s clock, saying it sometimes looses time and they have to re-adjust. But to brew 4 cups of coffee will only take 4-5 minutes, just enough time even for the morning rush. The Mr. Coffee DRX5 Coffeemaker comes with a glass carafe and includes a 1-Year manufacturer’s warranty. Overall, this coffeemaker is an excellent product that will fill the “coffee needs” for an individual at a low price of around $24.99.
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.2 stars (2,136 Customer Reviews)
- Brew tastes decent and coffee is hot enough
- Very compact and only takes a little counter space
- Carafe works well
- Features programmable brew time and auto shut off
- Convenient to use and easy to clean
- Consumers reported that the first few pots tasted weird
- Somewhat hard to open the top lid when it’s completely closed
PICK ME because I am the “best small coffee maker” and a real bargain.
#10 Black & Decker DCM18S Brew ‘n Go Personal Coffeemaker with Travel Mug
The Brew’n Go Personal Coffeemaker brews directly into an insulated travel mug. It is ideal for consumers searching for a coffeemaker that they could use to brew a mug of coffee in the morning that they could take with them while going in to work, and is also ideal for single-coffee-drinker households.
The included 15-ounce travel mug can retain heat well, has a nice rubber-coated handle and a non-skid bottom which is an excellent feature as well. Its users loved the stainless steel travel mug’s design in that fits in most cup holders and sits right on their work desk without worrying that the coffee might spill. They also stated that it is very easy to use and makes decent coffee that can stay hot for a long period of time. Clean up is also a breeze since the removable parts such as the permanent filter, brew basket, travel mug and mug lid are all top rack dishwasher-safe . The Black & Decker Brew ‘n Go Personal Coffeemaker (DCM18S) only costs around $20 and includes a 1-year warranty. See our Top 5 Single-Serve Coffee Makers if you’re more interested in single-serving coffee machines.
Amazon’s Customer Ratings: 4.2 stars (4,273 Customer Reviews)
- Lowest priced coffeemaker in our picks
- Go-To mug is of a good size
- Great for commuters
- Brews good coffee and tea
- Easy to operate and clean up is a breeze
- Very compact
- Durable and may last for years
- Not programmable
- Some problems with the permanent filter when using finely grounds. Some suggested to use less coffee than the recommended amount or use a paper filter instead
PICK ME because I will brew a mug of coffee that you can bring with you when traveling.