Even though Bonavita is a fairly new company, it is already winning awards for its innovative and inexpensive coffee makers. For example, the Specialty Coffee Association of America recognizes Bonavita as a Certified Brewing Equipment company.
Since the SCAA has very high standards, you can rest assured that Bonavita has met a number of standards that may not be met by other coffee maker manufacturers in the same class. If you have tried coffee makers from other companies and weren’t happy with them, you may just find something appealing in Bonavita products.
Features of the Bonavita BV1800 Coffee Maker
Simple is usually better when searching for your perfect cup of coffee. There’s no question that the Bonavita 1800 Coffeemaker fulfill this rule almost every way. Despite of its lack of fancy features such as no timers, this drip coffee maker can brew full 8 cups of delicious coffee under 6 minutes.
It also has the following features:
- The choice of either a thermal or glass carafes.
- Built to last long. The Bonavita coffee maker rarely requires special cleaning, and will serve delicious coffee for many years to come.
- Has a small foot print.
- Has an attractive design with clear water reservoir. Consumers can easily see through the water reservoir if its full, as well as determine the time before the brewing is completed.
Benefits of the Coffee Maker
When you buy a coffee maker, it is important to think as much about the long term maintenance costs as its initial purchase price. In this instance, users of the Bonavita Coffee Maker found a number of advantages that they could not easily get with other coffee makers.
Some of those benefits include:
- Permanent coffee basket that does not require paper filters
- Requires less coffee than other coffee makers. The Bonavita 8-Cup Coffee Maker has a unique drip system that ensures all coffee in the basket gets saturated with water instead of just a relatively small number of grinds at the center of the basket.
- Designed to produce the perfect temperature of 96 degrees Celsius for brewing. This temperature releases the best flavor from coffee and also tends to be the temperature that most people expect when they first get a cup of coffee.
- Brews coffee quickly and easily
How does the Bonavita BV1800 compare to the new Bonavita BV1900
The New BV1900 has also reverted to the more rounded water reservoir design previously used on the BV1500 (5 cup) coffee maker, and some will argue that the overall look of the newer design is more appealing than the more rectangular reservoir on the 1800 model.
The brew time for the two machines remains the same, but the stronger heater means the coffee maker will reach optimum brewing temperature faster.
Reaching and maintaining the perfect brewing temperature is a critical factor in extracting a perfect cup of coffee, but whether the additional running costs of the stronger heater, offset the enhanced flavor of the new BV1900 is an individual choice. For those with a highly developed palate, the difference may easily justify the extra $10 or $12 required to buy the new Bonavita BV1900
Like the 1800, the newer model earns 4.2 stars on Amazon, but of course there are far fewer reviews from users so far.
What Users Like about the Coffee Maker
It should come as no surprise that an award winning coffee maker will also have many consumers that have good things to say. In this instance, most owners of the Bonavita BV1800 Coffee Maker were very happy with the quality of the coffee brewed as well as the durability of the appliance.
Here are some other things people appreciated about this coffee maker:
- 8 cup capacity was just right for small offices and medium sized households.
- Fast brewing time was perfect for early mornings as well as for use on other occasions when a fresh pot of coffee was needed quickly
- Visible reservoir, color scheme, and shape are very attractive.
- Easy to add water to the reservoir
- Choice of glass or thermal carafe ideal for those with children or a tendency to break glass pots
What Users Don’t Like About the Coffee Maker
While some people were absolutely passionate in their endorsement of the Coffee Maker, others found a few things that made them look to other alternatives.
Some of the most cited issues include:
- Coffee maker is not programmable. Individuals that wanted to wake up to a pot of perfect coffee in the morning had to start the brewing process manually.
- More expensive than other coffee makers with a similar capacity.
- 1400 watt heater takes more electricity than other coffee makers.
Overall, we feel that the lack of timers and other features commonly found in large capacity coffee makers causes this coffee maker to be a poor choice in terms of cost. But this coffee maker does produce the best cup of coffee compared to most top drip coffee makers on the market.
We also felt that rapid brewing time was not adequate compensation for the lack of other features. As simple as this device may be, it is truly not practical for anyone that relies on timers to get a fresh pot of coffee in the morning or at other scheduled intervals.
We do recommend this coffee maker for anyone out to impress others. For example, if you want a coffee maker that says “wealthy” to office or home visitors, this may be a unit that serves as a good conversation piece.
You can also talk about how it is an award winning appliance and that no other coffee maker truly matches the temperature precision found in the unit. Truly, with thousands of users’ reviews found on Amazon and most reviews are positive, the Bonavita BV1800 8-Cup Coffee Maker might more than suit your needs.